Breads, Focaccia & Scones
At The Dutch Epicure Bakery we specialize in three kinds of table breads: Sourdough, French and Old Fashioned.
In 1996, we produced our own active sour mash using organic black grapes, water and flour. After several weeks of “feedings” we were ready to produce own first breads. The following is a list and description.
- Sourdough: A mix of sour mash, water, whole wheat flour , “green” high-gluten flour and salt.
- Sourdough Siebenfelder : Sour mash, water “green” high-gluten flour, and a seven grain mix of rye, wheat, corn, oat, millet, sesame seed, sunflower seed and spelt.
- Raisin Walnut (Fridays only): Our original sourdough bread with the addition of raisins and walnuts.
- Rosemary & Provencal Oil
- Cheddar Basil
- Pepita Sage
- Kalamata Olive
French bread and all of its variations is the simplest and most basic of all breads. First we make a “preferment” using water, flour, yeast and sugar. This preferment is then “retarded” or cooled overnight . The next morning the bread is finished with more water and flour and then a little rye sour and salt. This method, known as long fermentation, gives the bread time to develop its full “strength” and adds an incredible full flavor. The absence of fat in our French and sourdough breads help them develop a thin, crisp crust. From this one unique dough we produce our:
- French Baguette
- French Boule
- Petit Pain Rolls
- Focaccia: Tomato & Mozzarella, Mediterranean, Spinach & Feta
All of our French breads are produced daily Tuesday thru Sunday.
Old Fashioned Breads
These are the traditional loaf style breads or “sandwich” breads. They are also available as dinner rolls. We have three kinds available daily.
- White: This is a rich soft bread made with flour, water, vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Honey Wheat: A variation our the white. We make this with flour, whole wheat flour, vegetable oil, eggs, honey, yeast and salt.
- Oatmeal: This bread is made from a rolled oat, water, sugar, vegetable and yeast mash. Then, it is finished with high-gluten flour, eggs and salt.
- Irish Soda Bread (Fridays & Saturdays): This bread is a rich “soda” raised dough. The dough is a blend of flour, buttermilk, butter, raisins, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and caraway seed. Gently developed and baked, it is a sweet bread resembling a large scone.
Breakfasts Breads At The Dutch Epicure Bakery
We offer a large assortment of fresh, breakfast breads on a daily basis.
- Croissants: This pastry is made from dough layered with butter and then rolled and folded many times to produce a extremely light and flaky product . We offer them in the following flavors: Plain, Almond, Chocolate, Coconut Cream, Ham & Cheese and Spinach & Feta. Mini croissants available for special orders with 24 hour notice.
- Cinnamon Rolls: Using a rich bread dough, we roll it out with pastry cream and cinnamon. Proof, bake and glaze with a fondant glaze.
- Scones: At The Dutch Epicure Bakery, we have been making the best scones from an old world recipe for over 17 years. We gently produce a very tender dough with flour, butter, eggs and heavy dairy cream. Then we fill the dough with a generous amount of blueberries, apricots, cranberries or our popular chocolate almond. Mini scones available for special orders with 24 hour notice.
- New England Apple Cake: Available during our fresh apple season. We make a rich, apple muffin and an apple loaf cake with fresh peeled Lull Farm apples, oil, sugar, wheat and whole wheat flour, walnuts and apple cider. Garnished with fresh sliced apples.
|Our daily breads:|
|Wednesday||Caraway Rye (coming soon!)|
|Thursday||Dutch Oatmeal, Ciabatta|
|Friday||Challah, Raisin Walnut, Irish Soda Bread|
|Saturday||Irish Soda Bread|
Breads available daily: French Baguette, French Boule, Old Fashioned Oatmeal, Old Fashioned White & Wheat, Petit Pain Rolls, Sourdough, Sourdough Siebenfelder .
Our availability may vary from day to day and we often feature a new bread every Friday.
Click here to see our Bread Gallery.